Chimney fire in Covington

Three people are displaced from their home because of a fire that started in their chimney.

The following is a press release from Puget Sound Regional Fire Authority.

A fire in a chimney chase has displaced three people in the 17400 block of SE 264 Street.

The fire was reported at 2:45 p.m. on Sunday to the occupants by a neighbor after they saw smoke and flames coming from the chimney and the wood surrounding it.

Firefighters from Puget Sound Fire and the Maple Valley Fire Department limited the fire damage in the attic space and kept it from entering the living areas of the two-story home.

According to the fire investigator, the fire started after a malfunction in the metal chimney of the wood stove inside the house. There were no reported injuries to the occupants.

BELFOR Property Restoration is currently on scene to cover the holes firefighters cut in the roof to vent out the toxic and hot gasses trapped in the attic space. Their repair service is provided free of charge.