Calendar submissions: Calendars are published Wednesdays and Saturdays on a space-available basis. Items for the Wednesday edition must be submitted by noon the previous Thursday. Items for the Saturday edition must be submitted by noon the previous Tuesday. Submit calendar items to email@example.com.
Public Open Farm Tour at Alpacas at Morning Star Ranch: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. May 3. A working alpaca ranch. View raw fiber from the animals, finished alpaca products, and adult and baby alpacas. Call or e-mail for directions. Morning Star Ranch in Ravensdale. 360-886-9639 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
May Day Madness Dinner and Auction: 6-10 p.m. May 1. Auction items include hot air balloon and flight simulator rides. Sponsored by the Covington Chamber of Commerce. Cost: $50 per person; reservations required. Meridian Valley Country Club, 24830 136th Ave. S.E., Kent. 253-631-6117, www.covingtonchamber.org or email@example.com.
Cruise-In event: Fridays. Maple Valley Street Rats Car Club sponsors the Covington Friday Night Cruise-Ins for pre-1975 automobiles & pick ups only (No 4x4s) in a flagged show area at the Covington Wal-Mart parking lot. Cost: Free; donations accepted for Street Rats Scholarship fund. Information: 206-763-1314.
“Solutions Through Purpose”: 7 p.m. May 8. Community meeting to help reduce student alcohol and substance abuse. All are welcome. Maple Valley Community Center, 22010 S.E. 248th St. 425-891-0603.
Black Diamond Community Center, 31605 Third Ave. Center offers a variety of youth programs, including:
• Before and After School Kids (BASK): 6-8:45 a.m. and 3-6:30 p.m. weekdays. Childcare program for kindergarten-sixth grade. Cost: $3.75-$8 per session. Discounts available. Details: 360-886-9844 or 360-802-7587.
Tahoma High School flea market: 9 a.m.-noon May 3. Also includes dog wash, children’s carnival, bake and plant sales. Tahoma High School, 18200 S.E. 240th St., Covington.
Maple Valley Pony League food drive: 9 a.m.-1 p.m. May 3, 10 and 17. Donors can bring non-perishable food for Maple Valley Food Bank and Black Diamond Community Center. Black Diamond baseball field.
Tahoma Cooperative Preschool Fiesta Family Night and Silent Auction: 6-9 p.m. May 3. Features taco bar, children’s crafts, entertainment by Musically Minded, auction items and more. Cost: $5. Greater Maple Valley Community Center, 22010 S.E. 248th St., Maple Valley. 425-584-7776.
Friends of the Black Diamond Library plant sale: 9 a.m. May 3. Native plants, shade-loving ground covers, perennials, shrubs and some trees. Black Diamond Library, 24301 Roberts Dr.
McLendon Hardware Food Drive and Pancake Breakfast: 7:30-10 a.m. May 3. Breakfast includes pancakes, sausage, juice and coffee. Cost: Free; donations for local food bank welcome. Event at all store locations, including: McLendon Hardware, 23662 104th Ave. S.E., Kent. 425-264-1535 or www.mclendons.com.
Garage & Bake Sale fundraiser: 8 a.m.-4 p.m. May 3. Donations welcome. Presented by Prudential’s Aggressive Cancer Kickers relay team. Proceeds benefit the American Cancer Society. Prudential Realty, 25230 104th Ave. S.E., Kent. 253-859-7450.
Lake Wilderness Arboretum Spring Plant Sale: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. May 9; 10 a.m.-4 p.m. May 10. Features wide variety of native, specialty and other plants, along with garden accessories and craft vendors. Master gardeners will be on hand to answer questions. 22520 S.E. 248th St., Maple Valley. www.LakeWildernessArboretum.org.
Covington Library, 27100 164th Ave. S.E. 253-630-8761 or www.kcls.org. Library events include:
• Friends of the Covington Library: 7 p.m. May 6.
• Covi Adult Book Group: 2 p.m. May 8. Topic: “The Sea” by John Banville.
• Songwriting Workshop: 1 p.m. May 10. Help to complete and perform an original song that will be recorded by Levi Burke.
• Covington Grass: 7 p.m. May 12. Bluegrass concert open to all ages.
Maple Valley Library, 21844 S.E. 248th St. 425-432-4620 or www.kcls.org. Library events include:
• Maple Valley Men’s Book Club: 6:30 p.m. the fourth Wednesday of the month. Topics: April 30, “Blood and Thunder: An Epic of the American West” by Hampton Sides.
• Teen Book Group and Advisory Board: 4 p.m. May 1. Topic: “Stardust” by Neil Gaiman.
• Maple Valley Library Guild: 7 p.m. May 7 and June 4.
Greater Maple Valley Community Center, 22010 S.E. 248th St. Activities include:
• Acrylic painting workshop: 1-4 p.m. April 30-June 4. Cost: $65.
• Senior trips: 9:30 a.m. May 6, Lakewood Gardens. Cost: $10, plus $3 admission and lunch. • 10 a.m. May 27, Chocolate 101 at Dawn’s Candy & Cake Supply in Lynnwood. Cost: $12, plus $15 for class and lunch. Trips leave from the senior center.