News and Notes
• The amazing Polo Bender ($5.80) won his 20th career race and his 10th at Emerald Downs with a one-length triumph under Juan Gutierrez in the sixth race. The 9-year-old joined Classielyte as the only horses with three victories at the 24-day-old meeting. Rigoberto Velasquez, trainer of Polo Bender, also conditions West Seattle Boy, the 11-year-old gelding who recently tied the track record with his 16th win at Emerald Downs.
• Ricky Frazier was in great form Sunday and led the jockeys with three wins.
• Apprentice Pedro Terrero rode two winners and leads Juan Gutierrez 26-25 in the jockeys’ standings.
• Vann Belvoir leapfrogged past Frank Lucarelli into a 20-19 lead in the trainers’ standings.
• Atta Boy Roy will get a six-to-eight-week break following his runner-up effort in Saturday’s Grade III Aristides handicap at Churchill Downs, trainer Valorie Lund said. Lund said the Washington-bred came out of the race with a little nick on his heel, but it won’t cost the 5-year-old any training time. “I like to space his races between six and eight weeks,” Lund told Churchill Downs officials. “I am looking at something for him at six furlongs at Monmouth or Saratoga in that time frame.” The Monmouth race likely would be the $150,000 Teddy Drone on Aug. 1 or the $250,000 Alfred Vanderbilt (GI) at Saratoga on Aug. 8.
• 2008 Gottstein Futurity winner Gallant Son is 6-1 on the morning line in the $250,000 Shoemaker Mile (GI) at Hollywood Park.