A Maple Valley home was damaged after a fire broke out on the deck, but thanks to a quick neighbor firefighters arrived on scene in a hurry and saved the family dog.
According to a press release from the Puget Sound Regional Fire Authority (RFA), a newer home in the 24000 block of Southeast 258th Way caught fire. A neighbor next door to the home saw smoke and flames and called 911 around 5:31 p.m. on Monday, Aug. 12.
A battalion chief responded to the call and upgraded the incident to a “working fire” when he noticed a large smoke column while driving, according to the RFA press release.
“When the incident commander calls for a working fire it starts into motion additional units and services that ensure a smoother and safer operation, and quicker extinguishment of the fire,” the press release states.
The chief and Puget Sound Fire Engine No. 80 were the first to arrive on the scene. A fire hose was quickly pulled to the back of the house and knocked down the fire on the deck. The back glass door of the home shattered during the heat so a second fire crew entered from the front of the house, keeping the flames from entering the home.
“This was a great effort made by the fire crews as the deck was not an exterior deck but built within the footprint of the first floor,” the press release states. “Their quick actions not only kept fire damage to the exterior but also saved the life of the owners very small, and grateful, dog.”
Mountain View Fire and Rescue Engine No. 98 helped to assist the RFA along with South King County Medic One. Zone Three Explorers were also dispatched but were able to return early thanks to the quick efforts of the firefighters on scene.
The Red Cross is assisting the homeowner with housing and BELFOR Property Restoration provided the owner a free service to secure the home, according to the press release.
The fire is under investigation by the King County Fire Investigator.