Calendar submissions: Calendars are published Wednesdays and Saturdays on a space-available basis. Items for the Wednesday edition must be submitted by noon the previous Thursday. Items for the Saturday edition must be submitted by noon the previous Tuesday. Submit calendar items to email@example.com.
Fred Meyer: 9 a.m.-3 p.m. May 17 at the Fred Meyer store in Covington, 16735 SE. 272nd St.; noon-6 p.m. May 30 at MultiCare Clinic in Covington, 17700 SE. 272nd St. For Puget Sound Blood Center. 800-398-7888 or www.psbc.org.
Maple Valley Pony League food drive: 9 a.m.-1 p.m. May 10 and 17. Donors can bring non-perishable food for Maple Valley Food Bank and Black Diamond Community Center. Black Diamond baseball field.
Lake Wilderness Arboretum Spring Plant Sale: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. May 9; 10 a.m.-4 p.m. May 10. Features wide variety of native, specialty and other plants, along with garden accessories and craft vendors. Master gardeners will be on hand to answer questions. 22520 S.E. 248th St., Maple Valley. www.LakeWildernessArboretum.org.
Military care package donations: Noon-5 p.m. May 10. Contributors of 10 or more items can get a 10-percent discount on tattoo. Suggested donation list available on Web site. Sponsored by the Pinup Angels. Maple Valley Tattoo, 23220 Maple Valley Highway S.E. www.thepinupangels.com.
Tack sale for rescue horses: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. May 11. Sale features bridles, saddles, halters, Arabian native costumes and more. Refreshments also available. Come meet and support the rescue horses. Serenity Equine Rescue and Rehabilitation, 28818 S.E. 216th Way, Maple Valley. www.serenityequinerescue.com.
Kentwood Band Boosters garage sale: 9 a.m.-3 p.m. May 17. Proceeds go toward band competitions, contest fees and other program costs. Kentwood High School, 25800 164th Ave. SE.
Soos Creek spring restoration: 9 a.m.-2 p.m. May 17. Volunteers welcome. Bring sack lunch, work clothes, gloves and boots. Tools and snacks provided. Meet at trail head, near the corner of 148th Avenue Southeast and Southeast 266th Street. 253-639-3862 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Covington Library, 27100 164th Ave. S.E. 253-630-8761 or www.kcls.org. Library events include:
• Songwriting Workshop: 1 p.m. May 10. Help to complete and perform an original song that will be recorded by Levi Burke.
• Covington Grass: 7 p.m. May 12. Bluegrass concert open to all ages.
• Belly Dancing: 2 p.m. May 17. Performance by the Raqs el Sehr Shamal.
• Young Readers Lunch Book Bunch: 12:30 p.m. May 17. Open to students in first-third grade. Topic: “Mouse Soup” by Arnold Lobel. Bring a sack lunch.
Maple Valley Library, 21844 S.E. 248th St. 425-432-4620 or www.kcls.org. Library events include:
• Tuesday Evening Book Group: 7 p.m. May 13. Topic: “The Ha Ha” by Dave King.
• Between the Covers Reading Group: 10 a.m. May 14. Topic: “100 Great Poems of the Twentieth Century” edited by Mark Strand.
• “Pacific Northwest Climate and You”: 7 p.m. May 14.
• Game On!: 4 p.m. May 22. Teens can play video games at the library.
Spaying/neutering: 8 a.m. May 14. Sign in: 6:30 a.m. The Spay Station, a mobile spay and neuter clinic, will offer free or low-cost services to pet owners. Microchipping also available. Black Diamond Community Center, 31605 Third Ave., Black Diamond. Information: 360-793-7729 or www.pasadosafehaven.org/SPAYSTATION/spay_station.htm.
Kindergarten Roundup: 9:15-10:50 a.m. May 16. Students must be 5 years old by Aug. 31, 2008, to enter kindergarten. Registration requested. Sawyer Woods Elementary School, 31135 228th Ave. SE., Black Diamond. 253-373-7750.
Black Diamond Community Center, 31605 Third Ave., Black Diamond. 360-886-1011. Activities include:
• Stained Glass Class: May 12. First class of six-week session. Registration required.
• Senior Trip: May 21. Trip to Molbak’s nursery in Woodinville. Cost: Free; bring lunch money. Registration required.
• Nutrition lunch: Noon Mondays-Tuesdays and Thursdays. Social hour starts at 11 a.m. Cost: $3 donation.
Greater Maple Valley Community Center, 22010 S.E. 248th St., Maple Valley. 425-432-1272. Activities include:
• Maple Valley/South King County AARP Chapter: 1-2:30 p.m. the second Monday of the month. Topics: May 12, Coke Roberts to discuss ““Life of Miners and History of Mining in the Greater Maple Valley/Black Diamond Area.”
• “The Ins and Outs of Reverse Mortgages”: 1 p.m. May 14. Speaker: Rod Halverson of Cedar River Mortgage.
• Memorial Day barbecue: 11:30 a.m. May 23.
• Senior trips: 10 a.m. May 27, Chocolate 101 at Dawn’s Candy & Cake Supply in Lynnwood. Cost: $12, plus $15 for class and lunch. Trips leave from the senior center.