Submitting items: Calendar is published Wednesdays and Saturdays on a space-available basis. Items for the Wednesday edition must be submitted by noon the previous Thursday. Items for the Saturday edition must be submitted by noon the previous Tuesday. Submit calendar items to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Puget Sound Blood Center: Noon-6 p.m. May 30 at MultiCare Clinic, 17700 S.E. 272nd St., Covington. 800-398-7888 or www.psbc.org.
Cruise-In event: Fridays. Maple Valley Street Rats Car Club sponsors the Covington Friday Night Cruise-Ins for pre-1975 automobiles & pick ups only (No 4x4s) in a flagged show area at the Covington Wal-Mart parking lot. Free; donations accepted for Street Rats Scholarship fund. 206-763-1314.
Toddler Time: 9:30-11:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays at the Greater Maple Valley Community Center, 22010 S.E. 248th St., Maple Valley; 9:30-11:30 a.m. Mondays and Fridays at Gracie Hansen, next to Ravensdale Park. 425-432-1272.
Black Diamond Community Center, 31605 Third Ave. Center offers a variety of youth programs, including:
• Before and After School Kids (BASK): 6-8:45 a.m. and 3-6:30 p.m. weekdays. Childcare program for kindergarten-sixth grade. Cost: $3.75-$8 per session. Discounts available. Details: 360-886-9844 or 360-802-7587.
• Creative movement and dance: 3:45-6 p.m. Tuesdays. Open to ages 4-9. Cost: $25 per month. Details: 360-886-1011.
• Get on Track (GOT): 5:30-7 p.m. Wednesdays. Open to students ages 13-17 who are in danger of entering the Juvenile Justice System. A session qualifies as 1.5 hours community service. Interview required. Call 360-886-9844.
• Tutoring: 6-9 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Details: 360-886-1011.
“Kick It to the Core” training: 11 a.m. Thursdays through June 5. Focus on the core/abs while working to improve posture, strength and form. Cost: $99 for six weeks or $25 per appointment. Black Diamond Gym, 25551 Lawson St., Black Diamond. 425-413-8627 or Carolyn@c3-inc.net.
Jazzerkamp: 9 a.m.-noon June 23-27 and July 7-11. Open to children ages 6-11. Features hip-hop, cheerleading, fitness testing, beach-themed day, talent show, and arts and crafts. Cost: $125; registration required. Gym B at Lake Wilderness Elementary School, 24216 Witte Road S.E., Maple Valley. 425-413-8627 or Carolyn@C3-inc.net.
Life Nutrition NW Workshop: 6-7 p.m. Thursdays through June 26. Topics: May 22, ““Trigger Foods and Eating Out.” Drop-ins welcome. Cost: $5 per class. Kent Senior Activity Center, 600 E. Smith St. 253-630-7000.
Nutrition Class and Weight Loss Challenge: 4 p.m. Thursdays through July 24. Nutrition class covers topics such as protein, water, carbohydrates and Omega 3. Cost: Free. Weight Loss Challenge cost: $39. Black Diamond Community Center, 31605 Third Ave., Black Diamond. 206-459-5950, email@example.com or www.gowlc.com.
Adult Jazzercise: 9:45 and 11 a.m., and 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays; 9 a.m. Saturdays. Cost: $30 per month. Black Diamond Community Center Gym, 25511 Lawson St. 360-886-1011.
Adult Jazzercise Lite and Body Sculpting: 8:45 a.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Cost: $37.50. Greater Maple Valley Community Center, 22010 S.E. 248th St., Maple Valley. 425-413-8627.
Fitness classes at Black Diamond Community Center: Center offers a variety of health and fitness classes, including Jazzercise, creative dance movement and body conditioning. Call for details. 31605 Third Ave., Black Diamond. 360-886-1011, firstname.lastname@example.org or www.blackdiamondcc.org.
Iyengar Yoga: Maple Valley Parks and Recreation Department hosts yoga classes for all ages and ability levels, mornings and evenings. Lake Wilderness Lodge, 22500 SE 248th St. 425-413-8800 or www.bluemoonartsyoga.com.
Step Aerobic/Weights Class: 7-8 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Cost: $79 for 10 weeks. King County Fire Dist. 44/Station 92, 31709 Kent-Black Diamond Road. 253-631-6350 or 425-413-1623.
TOPS: 7:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays. Take Off Pounds Sensibly is a non-profit weight-loss support group. New Hope Church, 21115 SE. 272nd St., Maple Valley. 253-631-3567 or www.tops.org.
Black Diamond Library, 24301 Roberts Drive. 360-886-1105 or www.kcls.org. Library events include:
• Library closure: Through May 23. Library closed during move to new location. Holds pick-up still available; call for hours.
• New library opening celebration: 10 a.m. May 24. Library will relocate to the new building at 24707 Roberts Drive.
Covington Library, 27100 164th Ave. S.E. 253-630-8761 or www.kcls.org. Library events include:
• Dewey & Sketch Road Show: 10:30 a.m. May 21. Puppet show.
• Poetry Coffeehouse: 7 p.m. May 22. Bring your favorite poem for an open-mic reading. Poetry contest winners to be announced.
• Game On!: 4 p.m. Wednesdays through May; also 4 p.m. June 4 and 18. Teens can play GameCube, Xbox 360, PS2 and Nintendo Wii games at the library.
• Meet the Author—Marc Vassallo: 7 p.m. June 5. Vassallo, author of “The Barefoot Home” and coauthor of “Inside the Not So Big House” explores design trends that shape the way we live in our homes.
Maple Valley Library, 21844 S.E. 248th St. 425-432-4620 or www.kcls.org. Library events include:
• Game On!: 4 p.m. May 22. Teens can play video games at the library.
• Maple Valley Men’s Book Group: 6:30 p.m. May 28. Topic: “Dunkirk: Fight to the Last Man” by Hugh Sebag-Montefiore.
• Teen Book Group and Advisory Board: 4 p.m. June 5. Topic: “Running Out of Time” by Margaret Peterson Haddix.
Greater Maple Valley Community Center, 22010 S.E. 248th St., Maple Valley. 425-432-1272. Activities incliude:.
• “The Ins and Outs of Reverse Mortgages”: 1 p.m. May 21. Speaker: Rod Halverson of Cedar River Mortgage.
• Memorial Day Barbecue: 11:30 a.m. May 23.
• Senior trips: 10 a.m. May 27, Chocolate 101 at Dawn’s Candy & Cake Supply in Lynnwood. Cost: $12, plus $15 for class and lunch. • July 3, Parade of Tall Ships. Cost: $50 for three-hour cruise. Trips leave from the senior center. Advance registration required.
• Tahoma High School Jazz Band: 11 a.m. May 30.
• Caregivers’ support group: 1-2:30 p.m. Wednesdays, June 4-July 2.