An automated alarm system hastened the response by Mountain View Fire and Rescue to a fire at a house March 28, officials said.
The alarm and a service to monitor made the fire department’s response time five to 10 minutes faster, said a spokesman. He added that the homeowner tried to put the fire out himself by using an extinguisher, which put him in considerable danger due to the size of the fire. Extinguishers are good only for small fires, officials said.
The fire reportedly was ruled accidental and probably was caused by electrical problems
According to the fire department, the homeowner checking on the smell of smoke discovered a fire in the home’s garage. He removed two dogs and two cars from the garage. He was later treated at a hospital for smoke inhalation and released the same day, officials said.
Six fire engines were dispatched to battle the blaze.
At the request of the homeowner, the fire district didn’t disclose the location of the fire.