Jami Balint was jumping for joy last weekend after winning a championship in the Early Summer Classic Hunter/Jumper horse show in Wilsonville, Ore.
The 27-year-old Black Diamond resident and Enumclaw High graduate won the championship in long stirrup hunter and reserve championship in long stirrup equitation.
Balint rode her 12-year-old mare, Moment In Time, by Special Event and owned by Brass Ring Farm in Buckley.
Balint said she received the mare as a wedding gift from her trainer, Nancy Free, who trains at Brass Ring.
The mare was not expected to be able to compete at the hunter/jumper shows because of surgery on her leg, but Balint cared for the horse and proved everyone wrong.
“I’ve been to three horse shows with her and I’ve been a champion at all of them,” Balint said.
She began working and showing horses in 4-H when she was 8-years-old. She began jumping at 14.
Balint took a break from the equestrian fun while she attended and graduated from law school at Seattle University. She is currently working as the legal counsel for YarrowBay Group.
Once law school was over, she climbed back into the saddle and started winning championships again.
“It’s really great,” Balint said. “And it is great to come to our barn with everyone.”
Balint has been working with her trainer, Free, at Brass Ring Farm for the past 15 years.
Balint is the point leader in the state in the long stirrup hunters and long stirrup equitation division.
Other Early Summer Classic Hunter/Jumper champion riders from the area include:
• Kristine Farwell, Covington, was champion 16-17 equitation over fences;
• Paige Goodman, Enumclaw, was champion pre-children hunter, first Hillcrest starter medal;
• Something to Talk About, owned by Goodman, reserve champion training hunters;
• Georgia Dillon, Buckley, champion junior 16-17, champion 1.30 meter jumpers, third mini prix;
• Lorie Gessell, Kent, champion beginning rider hunters and
• Hannah Morris, Enumclaw, third Hillcrest starter medal. Morris is leading the state in pre-children’s hunters division.
Brass Ring Farm show results from the Early Summer Classic Hunter/Jumper:
• 10 championships and
• five reserve championships.